Raid-1

From: Dave Hall <linux_at_no.spam.please>
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 12:37:02 CST

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:08:34PM -0600, Steven Kurylo wrote:

> >Do you have a console open? I'm not sure how the modern windowing systems
> >deal with this. I tend to check dmesg on a regular basis on the machines
> >I maintain.
> >

> I use smartmontools and logcheck; System events get emailed to me
> hourly, so I'll know if there are any problems. You'd home
> smartmontools would start to pick that a drive was about to fail so
> you'd even get advanced notice.
>
> I have nothing else to add because I only use hardware raid.

Have you (or anyone else on the list) played with the higher-end Adaptec
controler (the one with the i960 processor)? It looks to be compatible
with some of the mid range SCSI controllers in most UNIX flavours. I was
seriously considering it as an upgrade except it can still only handle 4
drives and with some of the advantages of serial ATA I figured I'd wait
until they had a serial ATA equivalent.

--
Dave
| <- You must be smarter than this stick to ride
     the Internet		-Mike Handler