cannot remove* Is a directory

From: jim wagner <linux_at_no.spam.please>
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 00:20:03 CST

Well, I made a test on a directory buiilt for the occasion, and had no
trouble making the 'rm' command work. However, getting down to serious
business, I had this little exchange:

 rm -v Tbird
rm: remove directory `Tbird'? y
rm: cannot remove directory `Tbird': Is a directory

What am I being told here? The way I read it, it asks if I want to
remove the directory Tbird. When I answere "yes", it tells me I can't
remove it because it's a directory.

On my successful attempt, which has unfortunately been wiped out, it
asked if I wanted to descend into the directory. I said yes. It asked
if I wanted to remove the file there, I said yes. It asked if I wanted
to remove the directory. I said yes.

So, what didn't I do?

I'm using Mandrake 9.1

Thanks