X windows event queue

From: Jim Meier <fatjim_at_no.spam.please>
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 11:16:03 CST

I'm asking here first, because some of you might know this..

In the event loop of an X program I want to block for input on either the X
event queue or a stream. How do I go about this? I know it's possible, because
Qt says that this is what it does - but I don't want to wade through Qt's alien
C++ unless I have to.

Xlib has a function for returning the file descriptor of your client's X
connection. Is it safe and clean to block for input on this, then use standard
Xlib event functions to check it?

Thanks for any help you might have.

(incidentally, if anyone has that big series of X books, I'd be willing to pay
a bit of money to borrow them for a few weeks. X is getting interesting.)
(So is Berlin. :)

--
You are not done evolving.
Visit the unnamed MOO at my IP, port 7777 (check ICQ for ip)